Studies & Plans
We work with a variety of partners including local, State and Federal agencies and organizations to complete studies, reports and/or plans reports on a variety of natural resources management issues such as: lake and stream monitoring plans and reports, Stormwater Retrofit Assessments for small watersheds, and watershed scale studies and plans.
Stormwater Retrofit Assessments (SRAs): These are assessments which map and model using advanced computer applications to calculate how much stormwater turns into runoff and makes it untreated into our lakes and streams. The outputs of these studies are used to target the use of grant funds. Ideal project locations are then identified to maximize benefits while minimizing costs.
- Green Lake Subwatershed Retrofit Analysis
- Isanti County Water Management Plan 2018-2028
- Green Lake Rural Stormwater Retrofit Analysis of North Brook and Wyanett Creek
- City of Cambridge Stormwater Retrofit Assessment
- City of Isanti Stormwater Retrofit Assessment
- Rum River Restoration and Protection Strategies
- Skogman-Fannie Chain SRA Report
Watershed Restoration and Protection Strategies (WRAPS): This Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) program has a goal to complete intensive water monitoring and assessments in each of MN’s 80 major watersheds every ten years. The SWCD works with the MPCA and other watershed partners to measure the health of the watersheds within the county. During the cycle, the partners work together to evaluate water health and establish goals for improvement. This approach is best combine with One Watershed One Plan.
Total Maximum Daily Loads (TMDLs): TMDLs are studies completed on lakes and streams that are determined to be unhealthy via water quality monitoring information. The study and corresponding report identify the maximum amount of a pollutant that a body of water can receive without violating numerical standards sets by the State. The process identified all sources of a pollutant and determines how much each source must reduce its contribution in order to meet the standard. Most TMDLs in Isanti County have been complete as part of the WRAPS process.
- Rum River Watershed TMDLs (includes: Baxter, Fannie, Francis, Green, Long, North Stanchfield, Tennyson, Little Stanchfield, Skogman, and South Stanchfield Lakes—for excessive nutrients. Cedar Creek and Seelye Brook--for E. coli. Bacteria) https://www.pca.state.mn.us/sites/default/files/wq-iw8-56e.pdf
- Sunrise River TMDL (North Branch—for E. coli bacteria): https://www.pca.state.mn.us/water/tmdl/sunrise-river-north-branch-fecal-coliform-tmdl-project
- Typo Lake TMDL (for excessive nutrients): https://www.pca.state.mn.us/water/tmdl/martin-and-typo-lakes-excess-nutrients-tmdl-project
Rum River 1W1P - coming soon!!