The Isanti Soil and Water Conservation District is a local unit of government in Isanti County, MN, that is dedicated to soil and water conservation. Our mission, to provide technical, financial and educational resources in order to implement practices and projects that preserve, protect and enhance water quality, soil and other natural resources is governed by the State law and the Soil and Water conservation Policy 103C.005 as described below. The Isanti SWCD was established in 1963 by petition of the citizens of Isanti County.
Prior to 2013 the SWCD focused on assistance with Farm Bill related activities including providing planting assistance with for the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP). The SWCD also focused on promotion of no-till cropping, The States Reinvest in MN (RIM) Conservation easement program, and the annual tree sale.
Presently the SWCD can offer technical assistance and sometimes financial assistance to landowners on natural resource conservation practices such as:
- Lake Monitoring and Stream Assessment
- Aquatic Invasive Species mapping for treatment permits
- Riverbank erosion issues
- Lakeshore Restoration Design Using Native Vegetation
- Rain Garden and other rain water runoff control practices
- Site visits, Project Review and Technical Information on Wetland Issues
- Site visits and possible financial assistance for agricultural best management practices
- Assistance with abandoned well sealing
- Educations and outreach
We are always working on building our capacity to provide services to Isanti County Citizens! We will soon be able to offer assistance on forest management and agricultural best management practice design.